Britt-Marie Ljung, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
As director of the UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center Research Tissue Bank, I oversee collection, processing, storing and distribution of surplus tissue obtained surgically for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes. I spearheaded a universal patient consent form for banking in collaboration with our IRB and the NCI. This form has been adopted or used as a guide by institutions nationally, including UCLA.
I serve as Chair of the UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center Tissue Shared Resource Oversight Committee that oversees all tissue banks associated with the Cancer Center and ensures regulatory compliance. I serve on two NIC sponsored tissue bank related committees.
I have an interest in breast and thyroid disease and have ongoing studies of recurrence of DCIS, correlation between FNAB cytology and histology in breast and thyroid disease as well as molecular events in early breast neoplasia.
- Kerlikowske K, Molinaro AM, Gauthier ML, Berman HK, Waldman F, Bennington J, Sanchez H, Jimenez C, Stewart K, Chew K, Ljung BM, Tlsty, TD. Biomarker expression associated with increased risk of subsequent tumors after initial diagnosis of ductal carcinoma in situ. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010 May 5;102(9):627-37. Epub 2010 Apr 28.
- Moses W, Weng J, Sansano I, Peng M, Khanafshar E, Ljung BM, Duh QY, Clark OH, Kebebew E. Molecular testing for somatic mutations improves the accuracy of thyroid fine-needle aspiration biopsy. World J. Surg. 2010 Nov 34(11);2589-94.
- Mathur A, Weng J, Moses W, Steinberg SM, Rahabari R, Kitano M, Khanafshar E, Ljung BM, Duh QY, Clark OH, Kebebew E. A prospective study evaluating the accuracy of using combined clinical factors and candidate diagnostic markers to refine the accuracy of thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsy. Surgery. 2010 Dec;148(6):1170-6; discussion 1176-7.
- Carlson RW, Allred DC, Anderson BO, Burstein HJ, Carter WB, Edge SB, Erban JK, Farrar WB, Forero A, Giordano SH, Goldstein LJ, Gradishar WJ, Hayes DF, Hudis CA, Ljung BM, Mankoff DA, Marcom PK, Mayer IA, McCormick B, Pierce LJ, Reed EC, Sachdev J, Smith ML, Somlo G, Ward JH, Wolff AC, Zellars R. Invasive breast cancer. J Natl
- Britt-Marie Ljung, MD* and Martha Bishop Pitman, MD. Establishing Ultrasound-Guided Fine-Needle Aspiration in an Academic Setting (Pathology Case Reviews 2013;18: 48Y52)
- 1994 Award for "Outstanding Lecture," UCSF School of Medicine Class of 1996
- 2000 Award for Best Abstract Presentation by Senior Faculty Member, UCSF Clinical Research Program, 2000
- 2001 Nominee "Outstanding Lecture", "Outstanding Lecture Series," UCSF School of Medicine Class of 2003
- 2010 Yolanda Oertel Interventional Cytopathologist of the Year, Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology
- 2010 CAP Excellence in Education Award
- Professor Emerita
- Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy
- Phone: 415-353-7048
- Pager: 415-443-2609
- Fax: 415-353-7676
- 1600 Divisadero, R-204
- San Francisco, CA 94115
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- Comprehensive Cancer Center Research Tissue Bank
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center Tissue Shared Resource Oversight Committee
- Breast Oncology Program
- Breast Tissue Utilization Committee
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Breast Care Center Site Committee
- Cancer Center Program Planning Committee
- Cancer Committee
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center Endocrine Oncology Section
- UCSF Cancer Center Performance Improvement Subcommittee
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center Cancer Risk Program Steering Committee
- UCSF Committee on Privilege & Tenure Advisory Panel
- Cancer Center Program Activity Coordinator for Multidisciplinary Cancer Conferences
- Mt. Zion