Jeffry P. Simko, PhD, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
My mission within the Department of Pathology is fourfold. My major focus is genitourinary pathology, where I closely interact with the urologic oncology group of the UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center concerning clinical and basic science problems. A large number of research projects amenable to resident participation are available in this area. Specific areas include radiologic-pathologic correlation studies and imaging technology development (mainly focused on MRI/MRSI of the prostate and kidney), biomarker discovery efforts, clinical-pathologic correlation studies, and tumor model construction and characterization. These efforts also extend to my participation in some of the cooperative groups performing national clinical trials (NRG and "The Alliance"). I also participate in biospecimen banking efforts here at UCSF, and on a national level through participation in the NRG, one of the NCI-sponsored cooperative groups performing international clinical trials related to cancer treatment. I also perform general surgical pathology sign out and molecular pathology signout duties. I’m currently serving as interim director of the molecular Genetic Pathology Fellowship Program. For additional information, please link to:
- UCSF Hellen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
- UCSF Departmnent of Urology
- Radiation Therapy Oncology Group
- Van Allen EM, Foye A, Wagle N, Kim W, Carter SL, McKenna A, Simko JP, Garraway LA, Febbo PG, "Successful whole-exome sequencing from a prostate cancer bone metastasis biopsy," Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2013 Dec 24. doi: 10.1038/pcan.2013.37. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24366412
- Anwar M, Coakley F, Roach M, Westphalen AC, Jung A, Noworolski S, Simko J, Kurhanewicz J, Carroll P, "Role of endorectal MR imaging and MR spectroscopic imaging in defining treatable intraprostatic tumor foci in prostate cancer: Quantitative analysis of imaging contour compared to whole-mount histopathology," Submitted, Int J Rad Oncol
- H. Dean Hosgood, William Pao, Nathaniel Rothman, Hu Wei, Yumei Helen Pan, Kyle Kuchinsky, Kirk Jones, Jun Xu, Roel Vermeulen, Jeffry Simko, Qing Lan, "Driver mutations among never smoking female lung cancer tissues in China identify unique EGFR and KRAS mutation pattern associated with household coal burning," Respir Med 107(11) 1755-62 (2013).
- Ducker GS, Atreya CE, Simko JP, Hom YK, Matli MR, Benes CH, Hann B, Nakakura EK, Bergsland EK, Donner DB, Settleman J, Shokat KM, Warren RS, "Incomplete inhibition of phosphorylation of 4E-BP1 as a mechanism of primary resistance to ATP-competitive mTOR inhibitors," Oncogene. 2013 Apr 1. doi: 10.1038/onc.2013.92. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hawley S, Fazli L, McKenney JK, Simko J, Troyer D, Nicolas M, Newcomb LF, Cowan JE, Crouch L, Ferrari M, Hernandez J, Hurtado-Coll A, Kuchinsky K, Liew J, Mendez-Meza R, Smith E, Tenggara I, Zhang X, Carroll PR, Chan JM, Gleave M, Lance R, Lin DW, Nelson PS, Thompson IM, Feng Z, True LD, Brooks JD, "A model for the design and construction of a resource for the validation of prognostic prostate cancer biomarkers: the Canary Prostate Cancer Tissue Microarray," Adv Anat Pathol 20(1): 39-44 (2013).
- Cooperberg MR, Simko JP, Cowan JE, Reid JE, Djalilvand A, Bhatnagar S, Gutin A, Lanchbury JS, Swanson GP, Stone S, Carroll PR, "Validation of a cell-cycle progression gene panel to improve risk stratification in a contemporary prostatectomy cohort," J Clin Oncol 31(11): 1428-34 (2013).
- Kwek SS, Dao V, Roy R, Hou Y, Alajajian D, Simko JP, Small EJ, Fong L, "Diversity of antigen-specific responses induced in vivo with ctla-4 blockade in prostate cancer patients, J Immunol 189(7): 3759-66 (2012).
- Hayes GM, Simko J, Holochwost D, Kuchinsky K, Busch R, Misell L, Murphy EJ, Carroll PR, Chan JM, Shinohara K, Hellerstein MK, "Regional Cell Proliferation in Microdissected Human Prostate Specimens After Heavy Water-Labeling in vivo: Correlation With Prostate Epithelial Cells Isolated From Seminal Fluid," Clin Cancer Res. 2012 May 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ross HM, Kryvenko ON, Cowan JE, Simko JP, Wheeler TM, Epstein JI, "Do Adenocarcinomas of the Prostate With Gleason Score (GS)≤6 Have the Potential to Metastasize to Lymph Nodes?," Am J Surg Pathol. 2012 Apr 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ausborn NL, Le QT, Bradley JD, Choy H, Dicker AP, Saha D, Simko J, Story MD, Torossian A, Lu B, "Molecular Profiling to Optimize Treatment in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Review of Potential Molecular Targets for Radiation Therapy by the Translational Research Program of the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group," Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Apr 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Busch S, Hatridge M, Mößle M, Myers W, Wong T, Mück M, Chew K, Kuchinsky K, Simko J, Clarke J, "Measurements of T(1) -relaxation in ex vivo prostate tissue at 132 μT," Magn Reson Med. 2012 Apr;67(4):1138-45. doi: 10.1002/mrm.24177. Epub 2012 Jan 31.
- Magbanua MJ, Sosa EV, Scott JH, Simko J, Collins C, Pinkel D, Ryan CJ, Park JW, "Isolation and genomic analysis of circulating tumor cells from castration resistant metastatic prostate cancer," BMC Cancer. 2012 Feb 28;12(1):78. [Epub ahead of print]
- Professor of Clinical Pathology
- Departments of Anatomic Pathology, Urology and Radiation Oncology
Prostate, bladder and kidney tumor surgical pathology and research
- Phone: (415) 353-7581
- Fax: (415) 353-7276
- 1600 Divisadero Street
- Room B620, Box 1785
- San Francisco, CA 94143
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- Director, Genitourinary Program Tissue Core, UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Associate Director, RTOG Biospecimen Resource at UCSF (An NCI Sponsored National Cooperative Group Resource)
- Interim Director, Molecular Genetic Pathology Fellowship Program (ACGME-accredited)