Sanjay Kakar, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
GI/liver/pancreatic pathology. Methylation and MSI in colorectal polyps and cancer. Genetic changes in hepatic adenoma, HCC, fibrolamellar HCC.
- Kakar S, Deng G, Sahai V, Matsuzaki K, Tanaka H, Miura S, Kim YS. Clinicopathologic characteristics, CpG island methylator phenotype, and BRAF mutations in microsatellite-stable colorectal cancers without chromosomal instability. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008;132(6):958-64.
- Kakar S, Chen X, Ho C, Burgart LJ, Sahai V, Dachrut S, Yabes A, Jain D, Ferrell LD. Chromosomal changes in fibrolamellar carcinoma: correlation with clinicopathologic features and survival. Mod Pathol 2009;22(1):134-41.
- Kakar S, Chen X, Ho C, Burgart LJ, Sahai V, Adeyi O, Jain D, Ferrell LD. Chromosomal abnormalities determined by comparative genomic hybridization are helpful in the diagnosis of atypical hepatocellular neoplasms. Histopathology 2009; 55(2):197-205.
- Shafizadeh N, Grenert JP, Sahai V, Kakar S. Epidermal growth factor receptor and HER-2/neu status by immunohistochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization in adenocarcinomas of the biliary tree and gallbladder. Hum Pathol. 2010;41(4):485-92.
- Kakar S, Deng G, Cun L, Sahai V, Young YS. High frequency of chromosomal instability, aberrant methylation and BRAF mutations in signet ring carcinoma of the colorectum. Mod Pathol. 2012;25(7):1040-7.
- Evason KJ, Grenert JP, Ferrell LD, Kakar S. Atypical hepatocellular adenoma-like neoplasms with β-catenin activation show cytogenetic alterations similar to well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinomas. Hum Pathol. 44(5):750-8.
- Gregor K, Jain D, Wu TT, Yeh MM, Torbenson M, Kakar S. Immunohistochemical pitfalls in the diagnosis of scirrhous hepatocellular carcinoma. Mod Pathol. 2013[in press]
- 2006 Teacher of the Year, UCSF Anatomic Pathology
- 2005-now Digital Slide Program Leader, Surgical Pathology Committee, College of American Pathologists
- 2006-2009 Chair, Training Committee, Gastrointestinal Pathology Society
- 2012-2013 President, Gastrointestinal Pathology Society
- 2013-now Member, Cancer Committee, College of American Pathologists
- Professor and Benedict Yen Endowed Chair for Chief of Pathology at the VAMC
- Surgical Pathology
Gastrointestinal, Liver and Pancreatic Pathology
- Phone: (415) 221-4810 x2619
- Pager: (415) 207-3527
- Fax: 415-750-6947
- Dept. of Pathology, 113B
- UCSF and VA Medical Center
- 4150 Clement Street
- San Francisco, CA 94121
- Veterans Administration